In Kent, there already exist networks and ‘forums’ for older people/seniors, people who have a learning disability, mental health issues, autism, or use sensory services. There is no such county wide forum for people who have a physical disability.
These forums act as a powerful platform for members of the public to raise, discuss and influence decisions about services. They are also a great mechanism for organisations to work with and listen to members of the public.
We intend to create a similar network and forum for people with physical disabilities to enable them to amplify their voice and ensure their opinions and experiences are heard by the people who deliver and commission services.
What are we trying to achieve?
A Kent wide network that people who have physical disabilities can join and a forum where they can discuss common issues and work with organisations to improve services and the day to day experiences of people who have a physical disability.
We plan to create a central Kent group which will link to local groups across Kent.
How are we going about it?
- Healthwatch and Centre for Independent Living, Kent (CiLK) are working together to contact existing groups and individuals
- We also want to reach people who wouldn’t normally join groups or organisations and give them a voice
- We want to involve carers and service providers too
How can you get involved?
- Do you know of any groups or individuals that we could contact?
- Would you like to be a member of the network yourself?
- Can you share the information with anyone you think would be interested?
For more information contact George Sapiets, Project Manager on [email protected] or 07881-927297